Subject: [Leica] The final gasp of MF film?
From: john at mcmaster.co.nz (John McMaster)
Date: Thu, 16 Feb 2012 00:52:03 +0000

I don't remember APO in its name anyhow ;-) My negs were dry in glass
carriers (spotting in PhotoShop (or LR) is much preferable!) and it took up
10"x10", mine had a diffuser (not cold cathode) head.

john

Interesting.  The Apo El-Nikkors were available from at least the
1970s, maybe earlier.  The two biggest factors I found in improving
silver prints from MF and LF negatives was a really good lens and
oil/wet mounting the negs - even if you're not using a physical
unsharp mask.  Oil mounting is a total pain, but if you need to get
all the detail that's on the neg onto the print, it's the only way to
go.  But the light source needs to be matched to the negs - with a
diffusion source it's not really worth bothering.  I have only heard
of/read about the Kamm enlargers, I've never used one - but do know
that they came with lots of different light sources).

I don't print like that anymore, but for my own prints I prefer
tonality to resolution and detail, and more than anything my time is
limited.

Marty