Subject: [Leica] Photographic Freedom
From: lew1716 at gmail.com (Lew Schwartz)
Date: Tue, 31 Jan 2012 10:34:52 -0500

I think you are wrong here, Mark. True, many pieces of legislation are
proposed for the purpose of currying favor with constituents and not for
their practical or legal value ... the anti-gay stuff coming out of NJ
right now is a pathetic
example. For photographers and photographs, however, the invasion of
privacy card pretty much trumps everything, and it's being selectively
enforced in lots of places. 70's style street photography was the best form
of social criticism and insight we've ever had, but this is out of favor
now. Even on this list, I'm sure that most of the members find the 70's
idea intrusive and opprobrious.
  I add, by way of contradiction, that I don't mind being asked for id by
city police. They are in a tough position and I know a number of them
personally.