Subject: [Leica] Vedr: Leica Elmarit 135 mm, f/2.8
From: mark at rabinergroup.com (Mark Rabiner)
Date: Wed, 18 Jan 2012 00:21:40 -0500

John  the Leica APO-Telyt-M 135mm / f3.4 APO  has nothing "brittle" about
it. Its just the culmination of excellent second to none Leica lens design
in that focal length.  There is no downside to more current and better
optical design.. That's a LUG myth one of many. And the 3.4 APO wide open
shows excellent contrast and sharpness as you'd expect.

"Brittle" is the term people give to current Leica glass usually using
Aspherics which they don't feel like paying for as they already have the
focal lengh in an older version... Having paid big money for it its now no
longer the sharpest lens in the catalog. So the scramble for really weak
rationalizations that no one should have fallen for.

The 2.8 135mm can be defined by how with its built in eyes and large bulk it
transforms your M into another beast entirely.
http://www.kenrockwell.com/leica/images/135mm-f28/D3S_6333-1200.jpg
A nice pic of it but not on a body.
Its lens design is of a few generations back but I bet it does ok in its
results compared to consumer grade optics out now. Stuff which cost a few
hundred bucks.
The built in eyes do help with the use of the lens getting it in focus. You
don't look though the smallest frame but the one made for the 90 so there's
that.
I shot a roll with one once by the end of the roll I was very used to its
good balance on the camera. Not one shot was out of focus. The results
seemed at least as good as what I was used to with nikon maybe better but it
was not of the same subject in a direct comparison.
But its a bit of a monster. If it was cheap enough it might be a deal.

And the 3.4 is compact and lightweight in comparison and makes 135mm focal
lengh results something else entirely. I have a lot of glass in that range
and this outclasses them by far. It certainly makes results from a 3.5 or
2.8 135 Nikkor look dim and I have them both.
The 135 focal lengh is very viable for the M system. Some think its not
seemly. I've used mine extensively. It was the third lens I owned. I got it
before I got a 35mm lens.

- old Leitz glass is admired for its supposed silky smoothness and wonderful
bokeh... all that is total garbage.  The only upside to old glass is it cost
less. And you may already have it.
And if you already have it you should use it if you're doing ok with it.
Putting old glass on a pedestal is one thing I'm not fond of but the tearing
down of the latest out from Leica and other companies as if their is some
down side to the highest resolution and contrast you can get is dim thinking
or wishing.
My advice is get the best lens you can't afford.
Its all about glass.
The camera just keeps the film dark
Someone said that on the lug awhile back.

--
Mark R.
http://gallery.leica-users.org/v/lugalrabs/winterdays/