Subject: [Leica] The IIIF still works
From: hopsternew at gmail.com (Geoff Hopkinson)
Date: Sun, 24 Jul 2011 08:09:24 +1000

Paul you raise very interesting points. That is a neat synopsis of how Canon
does business (and they are a huge market leader).
Leica Camera certainly has not ignored cost containment, yet there are
unique factors at work. The excellent Summarit (spherical) designs are less
expensive yet demand for the ASPH. designs is double that. The flagship
models of course are more expensive again yet order lists stretch for months
ahead.  Another boundary for M lenses of course is that they must be as
compact as possible and function well with the sensor/film at such a short
register too. To see what is possible optically outside those constraints
you only need to look at the S lenses from Peter Karbe's team. He is on
record as stating that those right now outresolve the current (30x45) sensor
and its next generation too. The additional challenge with those though is
that the central shutters proved harder than expected and they needed to
start again with their own design after problems with the initial
(partner's) components. The space for those does force larger volumes on its
own. That makes life esier for the element s (can be larger) I guess.

Leica camera does use pressed aspheric elements in a number of designs and
has been a leader in producing larger diameter elements (developed with
Panasonic I think).
Nevertheless grinding and polishing of some exotic elements really is one
element at a time. At Solms you can see the retired tooling from where
elements were once ground in multiples. Some of the exotic and expensive
glass types require lead times of at least six months too.

Cheers
Geoff

*Australia, paying for the world's carbon sins, one tonne at a time**.*