Subject: [Leica] The IIIF still works
From: mark at rabinergroup.com (Mark Rabiner)
Date: Sat, 23 Jul 2011 02:26:55 -0400

Well you can buy new and buy not so new. But with Leica gear you can also go
with not so not so new. And not so not so not so new as they do go way back
to the mid 20's and that stuff does still fit on the cameras (M9). I'm sure
you've come upon some of Erwin Puts stuff in Leica searches and he talks
about basic Leica optical generations. I think about four of them since the
mid 20's when Leica glass was first put out there. So that would be it seems
to me every twenty years. A Leitz lens from the 80's is a real step down
optically from the cutting edge stuff coming out of Leica  now. The specs
certainly don't belie that. This would parallel the rest of optical
knowledge if it was not for the fact that the stuff coming out of Leica now
was not a good step head of most of everything else. Certainly Canon and
Nikon. A good question would be would the previous generation of Leica glass
compare directly to the present generation of Canon Nikon? And I think it
can go either way. A 60's lens is certainly a generation back from an 80's
Leica lens.  And back and back and back to the roaring 20's. An uncoated
lens is one of the first generations if not the first and is so far from the
major leagues 2011 ballgame its not funny. Not that they're not fun to play
with. One can say they are comparable yes comparably they are terrible
compared to a modern effort from Leica. That's how comparable they are.
Optical science has not stood still by a long shot!. But our urge to fondle
nostalgia may grow. I love the old stuff too but my interest in serious
image making I love more.

Mark William Rabiner

(http://www.hovebooks.com/) has the MTFs for a number of classic
> as
well as newer Leica lenses.   I thought I might buy some used Leica
lenses,
> but after comparing most of the older MTFs with the newer
optics, I decided to
> buy new.

Paul
www.PaulRoark.com