Subject: [Leica] Bad times without ilters.
From: tedgrant at shaw.ca (tedgrant at shaw.ca)
Date: Mon, 20 Jun 2011 08:50:59 -0700

Bill Pearce ofered:

> There are times when a filter is easily called for.  I once learned this
> the hard way. I was working as an assistant to a commercial shooter, and
> was sent to take photos of something (I forget what) being welded. I went
> with a Hasselblad 500CM , a 40mm and an 80mm lens. I have always adhered
> to the advice about if my photos aren't' good enough, so not liking what I
> was seeing through the 80, I put on the 40. Wow, what great photos! Also,
> wow what great great pieces of slag were now bonded to the front element.
> Replacing the front element was more expensive than replacing a
> filter.<<<<<<<<

Hi Bill,
The reverse of that is  "USE A LONGER LENS AND REACH IN FROM FARTHER AWAY!"
:-)

I learned that one while doing a documentary about farmers who still mainly
relied on "Horse power" to keep their farms operating. About 7 a.m. one
morning we were at the blacksmith shop getting a couple horses re-shoed and
some other piece of gear welded when I wanted to be right in there with the
flying sparks streaking by when one molten bit landed smack dab in the
middle of the lens creating a zit mark! Damn says I, thinking it being the
end of the lens.

However as long as I worked wide open the zit never showed, period. Stop
down a couple and sure enough you could make out some kind of mark.  So I
just bought a new lens and got on with the project. Sold the spotted lens to
a rather unsuspecting chap whom I explained everything about how the lens
worked. He wasn't deterred simply because as he said ......... "I never stop
down in any event as I'm always looking for the wide open effect." He was
happy for a cheap price and I was glad for a few extra dollars for my new
lens.

After that incident I immediately changed my shooting electric welding to a
longer lens and farther back.
Actually worked vey well. :-) Also better for one's eyes!

cheers,
Dr. ted :-)