Subject: [Leica] Luggers in Alabama, Mississippi, Tennessee
From: Frank.Dernie at btinternet.com (Frank Dernie)
Date: Sat, 30 Apr 2011 09:59:45 +0100

I am a cynic and pessimist on this issue.
Money, particularly lots of it, corrupts. Universities have available
massive government grants to do climate research.
Older information (pre-massive funding) still makes me believe climate
change has been influenced by mankind's activities since the 1970s or so but
I am not sure whether research and government decisions will not be more
influenced by where the money comes from than science at present and in the
future.
Anyway, it seems to me sensible to do something about it in any case. Being
less wasteful of energy is sensible overall whatever the situation.
As far as doing anything about it is concerned I am pessimistic. People who
are "successful" in the normal use of the word tend to be amongst the most
ruthless, greedy and selfish members of our species. They need to be to
fight -their- way to the "top" either in politics or commerce. The idea that
many people like this would take a long term view which may diminish their
short term power/wealth/comfort is almost laughable yet they are the ones
who will be making the decisions.
To quote Roger Waters - This species has amused itself to death.
Frank

Replies: Reply from henningw at archiphoto.com (Henning Wulff) ([Leica] Luggers in Alabama, Mississippi, Tennessee)
Message from jhnichols at lighttube.net (Jim Nichols) ([Leica] Luggers in Alabama, Mississippi, Tennessee)
Message from imagist3 at mac.com (George Lottermoser) ([Leica] Luggers in Alabama, Mississippi, Tennessee)