Subject: [Leica] Luggers in Alabama, Mississippi, Tennessee
From: henningw at archiphoto.com (Henning Wulff)
Date: Tue, 3 May 2011 18:06:18 -0700

Unfortunately I am in full agreement. The most wealthy and successful
make most of the decisions, and they decide in their own best short
term interest because that's how they got there.

We just had a federal election here yesterday, and the party that got
the majority and therefore can rule pretty much as it pleases for the
next 4 years is massively funded by corporations and the very
wealthy, has subsidized the oilsands oil extraction in northern
Alberta, which is a general environmental disaster as well as a huge
contributor to Canada's carbon output. The royalties which are fed
into the public coffers are minute in comparison to the costs of a
true cleanup. Meanwhile oil companies make gigantic profits, the oil
will mostly be burnt and on top of that the oil companies receive
federal subsidies. Taxes are cut, but in a minute amount for the
average wage earner, and massively for the very wealthy. To fund
this, cuts have to be made to services across the board, which affect
the poor much more as they don't have the resources to step around
these cutbacks. Strangely, large numbers of lower wage earners voted
for this party because they are told that they have the possibility
of also becoming very wealthy. That's like the large number of people
who include future lottery winnings in their retirement plans. In any
case, this government has an extremely poor record on dealing with
environmental and climate issues and it won't get any better now they
they are fully unleashed, and can pay back their sponsors.

More severe weather and greater swings in local climates are exactly
one of the main early effects predicted by the science of climate
change. The arctic will warm, the tropics will get hotter and the dry
areas will get drier. In the temperate zones the changes will vary by
region, but greater storms and severe weather is predicted for all of
us. It makes eminent sense, as additional heat introduced into the
oceans, the engines of weather, will provide more energy for that
weather. The rate of change of our climate is greater than any we
have discovered in the geologic record, barring massive volcanic
eruptions or meteorite strikes.

--

       Henning J. Wulff
  Wulff Photography & Design