Subject: [Leica] Sensibility of keeping "overlapping" lenses
From: drodgers at casefarms.com (David Rodgers)
Date: Tue, 12 Apr 2011 16:44:15 -0400

Vick,

Not sure what you meant by incompatibilities, but I use Leica R lenses
on my D700 all the time. They bring out the best in the excellent D700
sensor. Using Leitax mount converted R lenses on a D700 is much more
practical than using M lenses on a Micro Four Thirds camera, based on my
experience. Full frame has a lot to do with it. I wish I could convert
my 85/1.4 Planar to F mount. However, I use a 90/2.8 Elmarit R and the
results can be pretty stunning.

BTW, I started out with slower R lenses simply because of the cost and
the fact that I wasn't sure how well it would all work out. Once I was
satisfied that it was practical to use R lenses on the D700 I thought
about upgrading to faster lenses. But with the D700 I really don't need
the lens speed. Plus, slower lenses are more compact.

I use the 28/2.8 Elmarit a lot over the reputable 17-35/2.8 Nikkor
simply because the Elmarit is more compact and the results are better.
Plus, if I bought faster lenses I'd still keep the slower lenses, and
that would indeed create even more overlap. :-)

Dave R