Subject: [Leica] OT - need some direction about micro 4/3 cameras
From: drodgers at casefarms.com (David Rodgers)
Date: Thu, 7 Apr 2011 10:04:27 -0400

Adam:

>>Something no one has mentioned todate: the GF-1's video has really
surprised me. It's 720p AVHC lite (whatever that means) but it's very
usable.<<

I almost mentioned the video aspect in my earlier post. I don't shoot
much video. But it's a nice option on the GF-1. The quality is amazing
for such a small camera. And you're right about the atmosphere when
using a Noct.

I'm becoming more interested in video these days. There are so many
practical methods of presentation compared to a few short years ago.

I still prefer still photography. In fact I'd intending to upgrade my
printers. I had my eye on an Epson 3880. After much consideration I
bought an Ipad instead. It's been better than I expected for showing
stills.

In a perfect world I'd prefer paper prints. But the Ipad is like putting
a huge stack of 8x10s in a very small box. I download, process and
optimize images -- D700 or GF-1 -- in Lightroom. I upload them to the
Ipad. The workflow is incredibly fast and easy. Image quality is, for
the most part, excellent. Ipad resolution is only 1024x768. It proves
that pixel count isn't everything.

GF-1 images hold up well against D700 images if the photographs were
taken good light. You can't push the GF-1 like you can the D700.

The Ipad is also nice for video. It wasn't my plan to show video. But
ITunes found and uploaded GF-1 videos on install. I was amazed by the
quality. It made me want to get back into processing more video.

Regarding stills, I always have original raw files that I can process
for printing. I'm printing less anyway. When I do want big prints I'll
use a printing service.

BTW, here's a recent GF-1 20/1.7 image of a hop rhizome emerging.

http://www.daverodgers.net/brewing/hops.htm

Dave R