Subject: [Leica] PMK Developer
From: disfromage at ameritech.net (Richard Wasserman)
Date: Tue, 22 Mar 2011 12:35:29 -0500

I thought I would jump in here, out of the blue, as I am a long time
user of Pyro developers. Upfront?I shoot mainly 4x5 and 120 roll film,
with a little 35mm?Leica!? and use variable contrast papers, and also
scan a and print digitally a bit. I used PMK happily for several years
until I tried Pyrocat HD. Pyrocat is based on pyrocatechin, as opposed
to PMK which is pyrogallol. The differences between the 2 developers
are somewhat subtle, but real. For me Pyrocat is a much more versatile
developer, easier to use, has finer grain, and does wonderful things
with highlights and is really, really sharp. It is easy to control the
amount of compensation by varying the agitation. I will agitate
anywhere from every minute to only 4 times during the total time. I
have even used it as a stand developer for some very extreme scenes
and it was wonderful. One image in particular, taken from in the deep
shadow inside a short tunnel, where I wanted detail in the black earth
floor of the tunnel as well as the sun drenched scene outside it.
Pyrocat stand for 25 minutes and it is an easy negative to print?
amazing!

I use FP-4+, Acros, and TMY-2, and Pyrocat works very well them all.
In fact it has been good on every film I ever tried. It, like any
other developer requires a bit of testing to learn, but once you have
done that it is  simple, consistent, economical, and very nice. It is
available from Photo Formulary, and can be had mixed in Glycol which
gives it a very long shelf-life (years).

All the black and white work on my website was done with Pyrocat,
except for a few of the Chicago River photos that were processed in PMK.

????

Richard Wasserman

http://www.richardwasserman.net