Subject: [Leica] The formerly homeless cat
From: daniel at dlridings.se (Daniel Ridings)
Date: Mon, 21 Feb 2011 13:37:57 +0100

Thanks Jack, we've tried to fatten him up. Here's some of the
background. I posted it somewhere else so it might feel a little
"aloof", but that isn't my intention.

Cut ...

This one came to me in August. He was skin and bones. He had been
making a round around the house now and then for a couple of weeks. I
just let the girls chase him off.

One day I got a better look at him and we had eye-contact.

http://dlridings.se/gallery/v/Shoebox/autumn2010/20100803-IMGP0345-1.jpg.html

He was skin and bones. He stayed and waited for my next move.

I fed him, knowing that I would soon be the host for three cats (I
already had two), but I have lost cats in the past without knowing
what happened to them. This would be my gift back to them, hoping
someone had done the same for them.

He literally, and I am not exaggerating, lived on the front porch for
about 14 weeks, more specifically, lived on the door mat. I had to buy
another one and move it a bit off to the side:

http://dlridings.se/gallery/v/Shoebox/autumn2010/20100826-IMGP0402-2.jpg.html
http://dlridings.se/gallery/v/Shoebox/autumn2010/20100826-IMGP0406-3.jpg.html

We had to plan his feeding carefully. He really didn't mind if the
birds (magpies) or the hedgehogs (porcupine?) came and finished off
the leftovers.

http://dlridings.se/gallery/v/Shoebox/autumn2010/20100826-IMGP0416-4.jpg.html

He was deaf. I was afraid it was because he had so much white in him,
white cats tend to be deaf. But it was only ear mites. It was a
problem. He loved to have the door open so he could look in, but he
would freak out if you got him in and closed the door. (Big problem:
the porcupine learned to come into the house looking for our other
cats' food). Weeks and weeks of training. Winter came and we had a
problem. We got him into the kitchen and after a first hour or so of
anxiety, he settled in (and hasn't really left since).

He came August 2. In the middle of December we could finally "handle"
him somewhat (put some catnip in a transport cage so we could get him
to the vet). The vet asked if he should be vaccinated against "cat
snuva" (a virus like the flu or a cold). We'd have to come back for
the second dose in a month, the vet said. "No way! We got him here
once, a second time is pretty much out of the question". He was so
strong, so strong that he almost ripped the transportation box up. The
vet promised us that if we could get him into the box and to the
office, she could do the rest. How she got him out ... I really don't
want to know. I sure wouldn't have dared.

Now he has a home.

He obeys like a dog (sometimes). When he goes in for an attack against
the girls (don't know why, they rip him up anyway) he obeys a "No" and
actually stops.

So now I'm owned by 3 cats.

Daniel

PS: The queen bee does NOT like him: