Subject: [Leica] OT: Apple Mac gets grindingly slow...
From: afirkin at afirkin.com (afirkin at afirkin.com)
Date: Fri, 3 Dec 2010 21:04:42 -0500

> Peter, I think the people on that forum are talking rubbish. You should
> put as much memory in your laptop as it supports, period. On the iMac on
> which I write this, I have 4 GB 800 DDR RAM. My iMac is slightly faster
> than your laptop (2.66 Ghz Intel Core 2 Duo) but that is not a dramatic
> difference. Yet, I comfortable manage a LR database with 20,000 photos in
> it. I think the main reason for the difference between yours and mine
> experience lies mainly in the differing amounts of RAM.
>
> Cheers,
> Nathan

I would agree. The main improvements I've made usually have to do with
more access to RAM. Every 6 years or so the "speed" of processing seems to
have made enough improvement to beg replacement. The size of the images is
of course a MAJOR factor. Now I have the 'blad and 39 megapixels and the
M9 with 18 the computer is being stressed, so I do try to only keep the
best images in full glorious RAW: that will help speed

Cheers

Alastair

Message from photo at frozenlight.eu (Nathan Wajsman) ([Leica] OT: Apple Mac gets grindingly slow...)