Subject: [Leica] BIRTHING! :-) WITH LEICA'S !
From: tedgrant at shaw.ca (tedgrant at shaw.ca)
Date: Mon, 20 Sep 2010 23:27:43 -0700
References: <340749E1-0CA1-4CAE-99CC-58D18D3CB1A8@gmail.com> <8F1FA7C9A7F44482840F0AEE10E7DAEE@syneticfeba505> <4C96787B.7070108@summaventures.com> <4478795EE447419096D445247EB8646C@syneticfeba505> <4C96A828.3060604@cox.net> <9BB2D5130EA94101A10720697E8B3007@syneticfeba505> <4C97E8A2.4040704@cox.net> <AANLkTin7YEyPhad-ZnX44nrqs2RDCzceEBTTk7sOfCHn@mail.gmail.com> <AANLkTi=CXGB4e_rSL7TgVo2pN2XQiHccf03EpakE9Vm+@mail.gmail.com>

Geoff Hopkinson offered:
Subject: Re: [Leica] BIRTHING! :-) WITH LEICA'S !

> Tina I watched two and I unreservedly salute your strength and toughness.
> I think that I may speak for most males and say that you are welcome to
> retain this job position as 100% for your gender ;-)

Hi Geoff
After being on location shooting about 200 birthings, certainly close to
that, I can unequivocally agree with you! The ladies can have this job
without question!

However considering the number of subjects I've photographed, the arrival of
a new human being is the most incredible experience you can attend. One
moment, well sometimes much more than a moment, here is a woman making great
effort to deliver this big bump from her body. Some pop the child out with
the greatest of ease, it seems totally effortless. A bit of huffing and
puffing and out pops this little human being all brand new letting the world
know "Hey, I'm here, start up the band!"

By the same token it can be the complete opposite of hours of trying with
finally to save baby and mother a "C section" is carried out. You as
photographer have to move like a bolt of lightening into the changing room,
strip your clothes, into OR clothes and get into the OR hopefully before
anything happens.

I've made the dash to change while the mother is being prepped in the OR
when all of a sudden out the little guy or gal pops and you are with not one
happy snap! WHY? :-( You were trying to find a pair of OR pants to fit.
:-( By the same token all goes well you're changed standing there as the
doctor reaches inside the mother where the incision was made, he grabs legs
and head and out comes the new human being. :-) Another time not to run out
of film! :-)

I've had guys say..."there is no way I'm going to be there listening to her
yelling her head off! Not a hope!" My response has always been... "Why not?
You were there at the beginning when all the heavy breathing and sighing was
going on! ;-) So why don't you want to be around to see your end results
happen?" :-)

Trust me it's an amazing experience not to be missed! As many of you know
I'm a pretty emotional jerk, and I have shed tears at every birthing I've
shot! Joy, happy, sorrow, but mostly a joy and relief all has gone well.
Even when you don't know the mother until a few hours before the arrival.
Hey it's a heavy duty shoot, you can't have any screw-up because you can't
do a re-shoot, well maybe a year later.:-)

Now if you want emotional strain try this!

You should've seen the tears when I photographed the arrival of a grandson
in Ottawa and ten days later, a grand daughter in Jasper, Alberta! Not only
do you have the usual effort of shooting a successful assignment, but you
have the added emotion of a family member arriving. ;-)

Camera gear? Leica, 2 M6's and one R7, all B&W! If you have purchased my
medical book, "This is Our Work or the 2nd edition "Doctor's Work." there
are pictures of both these babies at birth.

If you ever have the opportunity to photograph an arrival do not turn it
down, simply because it's an amazing event to witness.

AND  ... Tina Manley <images at comporium.net> wrote:

>And men should always be present for the birth of their children so they
>realize what a total commitment
childbirth is.<<,,

Hi Tina,
Absolutely right! The father should be there whether he likes it or not!
After all he's the other half of the equation!

cheers,
Dr. ted :-)

Message from tedgrant at shaw.ca (tedgrant at shaw.ca) ([Leica] LUG 2010 YEAR BOOK!)
Message from pdzwig at summaventures.com (Peter Dzwig) ([Leica] LUG 2010 YEAR BOOK!)