Subject: [Leica] WAS: LUG 2010 YEAR BOOK! PETER! :-) NOW DOCTOR. :-)
From: tedgrant at shaw.ca (tedgrant at shaw.ca)
Date: Sun, 19 Sep 2010 16:44:02 -0700

Peter Dzwig offered:
Subject:
> Ted,
> > I didn't think you were THAT kind of doctor! ;-)
 > Have been thinking about it for months, can't make up my mind yet.

Hi Peter
Naw not one of those wonderful medical-Surgical  guys! :-) But an honest to
goodness Honorary doctor who took 60 years to qualify for the degree due to
recommendations by some folks who thought it was about time I should receive
recognition for my years of "happy snapping!" :-)

That and an image collection of 280,000 in the National Archives of Canada
with another 100,000 in The National Gallery of Canada. They constitute the
largest collection by a single photographer in the history of the country.

However, I have been known to use a scalpel on a few occasions to assist
with the singing abilities of some loud mouth ornery SOB guy! ;-)  By the
way I learned how to do that kind of "knife work" while shooting my cowboy
book and watching, "Old Harry" do his thing on calves with his extremely
sharp knife and quick hands! :-) Poor little calf never knew what happened!!
:-)

And after near 40 years in and out of OR's on assignments and producing my
medical books working along side great surgeons you learn just how to cut
and thrust carefully! :-)

I know very well how to delivery babies.... been there about 200 times
shooting, watching, listening to directions and all the necessary
interesting thingies. :-) And watched a couple of "father's to be faint!" We
just left them on the floor until the important part was finished. :-) One
guy put his camera up, looked through the viewfinder at the mother's crotch
as the baby was emerging and promptly collapsed to the floor! ... hell he
never even went "click! :-) The ruth is.... trust me....
"" THERE ISN'T ANY PICTURE THERE THE MOTHER WOULD WANT TO SEE IN ANY EVENT!"
The doc step around him for a few minutes until a couple of nurses dragged
him out of the way! :-)

I can stand beside a heart surgeon and tell him each and every move in
changing a heart valve or doing a by-pass. Big difference doing it and
telling how. :-) Just a little side bar thing when you've seen it done
enough times and ask interesting questions and the doc is telling you
exactly what he's doing! Really cool! :-)

But the truth is, it's such a wonderful part of ones life  being a
photojournalist, you learn something about a lot of things. :-)

Besides if you're passion is photographing human beings in action wherever,
whenever and whomever during moments of life happenings, so much is learned!
Particularly when you love doing what you do with great passion, you really
never want it to end!!

cheers,
ted

Replies: Reply from kcarney1 at cox.net (Ken Carney) ([Leica] WAS: LUG 2010 YEAR BOOK! PETER! :-) NOW DOCTOR. :-))