Subject: [Leica] Tilt-Shift Miniatures
From: piers.hemy at gmail.com (piers@hemy.org)
Date: Wed, 11 Aug 2010 15:15:23 +0100

No, Mark's assertion is a) an oversimplification or b) a misunderstanding of
the subtlety of the view camera. In any event, it is incorrect, in that as
you tilt the lens, the "depth of field" does not stay the same (being a
space whose front and rear planes are parallel to one another). As you tilt
the lens, the front and rear planes of the "depth of field" also tilt, but
in opposite directions to one another, so the space becomes wedge shaped.
Take a look at http://preview.tinyurl.com/233cq2a for an online calculator
for view camera DoF (even though the webpage is now, als, offline - that
link is via the Wayback machine).