Subject: [Leica] Lightroom 3 Cross-Platform Catalog: Warning
From: hopsternew at gmail.com (Geoff Hopkinson)
Date: Thu, 22 Jul 2010 09:11:40 +1000

Leo thanks for adding that to the discussion. I watched all of it and found
it interesting and useful.
I would like to add some comment for discussion to the suggestions contained
in that video.
This is referring to the specific case of the M8/9, S2 and other cameras
capturing as DNG for their native Raw format.
I don't think that the technique of sending the XMP files associated with
other Raw formats will work here. To the best of my knowledge, DNG files do
not use a Sidecar XMP file which can be separated from the original image
data. That develop information etc is contained within the DNG itself (but
does not alter the image as we know, only records there as instructions).

The author of that video shows how to export the catalog and the previews,
being LRCAT and LRDATA, I think.
For Lightroom the preview is based on the original import settings but it
always updates in any event. You can force that with the update DNG preview
and metadata option which is (obviously) only applicable for DNGs.

If I edit a DNG in Ps and then open in LR or vice versa the second program
understands and updates the metadata. I can see Keywording, Developing etc.
Providing the Raw Plug In versions are the same there is no difference. If
not the same then the file is openable but the earlier prog does not
understand edits with new tools.

I am unclear on exactly what information beyond the file location database
is stored in my catalog in this instance. It may be that Ps is simply aware
and reading the catalog on the same machine in this instance?

Since we have had two recent threads where people had issues with copying or
importing catalogs, would anyone else like to comment? I'm shortly to move
full time to LR3. This should be educational ;-)
Cheers
Geoff
http://www.pbase.com/hoppyman