Subject: [Leica] Lightroom 3 Cross-Platform Catalog: Warning
From: images at comporium.net (Tina Manley)
Date: Wed, 21 Jul 2010 19:57:03 -0400

All of my catalogs upgraded to LR3 with absolutely no problem.  When you
open the catalog in LR3 there should be a little exclamation mark on the
bottom of the photos.  You click it and it asks if you want to upgrade all
of the photos to 2010 processing.  You definitely do want to do that.  Noise
handling is much improved.  My open catalog had over 10,000 photos and it
only took a few minutes to upgrade.

The advantage to converting to DNG on import (even though Leica raw files
are already DNG) is that a larger jpeg preview is included with the
conversion and it can be read by other catalog software like Expression
Media, unlike Leica's embedded preview.  The conversion also gives you a
slightly smaller file size.  I used to do that routinely since I used
Expression Media and that was the only way to get a preview, but I'm using
that software less and less now that LR3 has improved their DAM options.

I guess it was worth going ahead and buying LR3 and not waiting for Leica,
but I wish they had made their download available when the LR3 beta version
ran out. :-(

Tina

> Since we have had two recent threads where people had issues with copying
> or
> importing catalogs, would anyone else like to comment? I'm shortly to move
> full time to LR3. This should be educational ;-)
> Cheers
> Geoff
> http://www.pbase.com/hoppyman
>

> --