Subject: [Leica] Lightroom 3
From: drodgers at casefarms.com (David Rodgers)
Date: Thu, 10 Jun 2010 08:44:19 -0400

If there is anyone out there who hasn't tried Lightroom I would highly
recommend giving it a try. I've been using LR 3 beta  for several
months. I think I tried LR 2 some time ago, but I didn't spend the time
to learn the basics.

I've used many, many imaging applications over the years. When people
say that Lightroom has a workflow that's targeted toward photographers
(as opposed to say, graphic artists) they are absolutely on target.

What I like most about Lightroom is the ability to manage (i.e. both
organize and process) large numbers of images with relative ease.
Dealing with volume was one of the main reasons I disliked shooting
digital. Why shoot more frames if you don't have time to deal with them
after the fact? I remember a time when processing a few rolls of 135-36
was a good days work.

Many on this list undoubtedly have a lot more experience with Lightroom
than I have. But I'm sold. I have a half dozen imaging applications
(including PS) and Lightroom is the only thing I use now.

Ironically, I've always considered Photoshop's vast capabilities as a
bit of a downside for me. I always knew that I could be a little sloppy
when capturing images, because I could fix just about anything after the
fact.

Knowing I'm going to use Lightroom makes me a little more attentive to
the capture aspect -- just like when I use film. I was curious as to why
Adobe developed Lightroom when there was already PS. Now I understand
why.

Dave R