Subject: [Leica] R mount lenses on Micro Four Thirds
From: drodgers at casefarms.com (David Rodgers)
Date: Mon, 14 Jun 2010 10:42:04 -0400

Jim,

The ability to use M lenses was a major reason why I bought a Micro Four
Thirds GF-1. Yet I can now say that I don't feel the same way about M
lenses on the GF-1 as I do R lenses on a D700.

R lenses really do shine on a D700, and I prefer them to Nikkors.
Conversely, I don't think M lenses on a GF-1 stand out as much. I'm glad
that I can use M lenses on digital. But I primarily use the 35 and 50
Summilux's. I don't use my wider M (or CV) lenses. The 20/1.7 Panasonic
is a super little lens. I plan to get a 14mm Panasonic if comes to
market and performs like the 20.

If I didn't already have a GF-1 and I was getting a ($1K) camera
specifically to use M lenses, I'd probably get a G2. Reasons are the
better viewfinder for manual focusing and the slightly bigger body,
which might make it more practical with M lenses. I think the G2 has
better video capability, which isn't a big deal for me, but could
potentially be down the road.

The GF-1 to me is a winner when it comes to size and performance. I'd
hate to be without it. I have the EVF and I'd hate to be without that,
too. It stays on the camera 99% of the time. It's good enough for most
things, but it falls short when it comes to critical focusing. Again,
one reason why I think the G2 would be better with M lenses.

Dave R