Subject: [Leica] Lightroom 3
From: mark at rabinergroup.com (Mark Rabiner)
Date: Wed, 09 Jun 2010 13:50:32 -0400

> Tina Manley wrote:
>

> I've never used the lens correction feature.  I use only Leica lenses ;-)
>  They don't need correcting.
> <<<
>
> Not directly related to Tina's experience, but Erwin Puts offers his
> opinions of a couple of Leica S lenses:
>
> http://www.imx.nl/photo/leica/camera/page174/s2part2.html
>
> Doug Herr
> Birdman of Sacramento
> http://www.wildlightphoto.com

In which he starts out with a bottom line appreciation of the bottom line
importance of acreage. Format size.
A print 8x10 or bigger from a cheap medium format twin lens camera with a 20
dollar lens (a Yashica twin lens lets say) will blow away a 35mm camera with
a 2000 dollar lens. That's the sad fact. Acreage is way more important than
optics. Way. That is photography 101 first day in class before they even
take attendance.
But what happens when you do combine premium optics with that larger format?
THAT is the premise of this article it seems to me and the premise of the S
system itself; as the Fuji glass in front of the Hasselblads are nothing
apparently to write home to Mom about.  They are exceedingly average with
even some problems. And full frame optics on Nikons and Canons are of course
standard nikon and canon glass real terrific stuff but not "premium"  in the
Leica or Zeiss sense and its not that large a format.  24x36 is the
definition of small format not medium or large.
Hence my complaining about unnecessarily small formats such as the 2x crop.
The last thing you want to do is cut back on format. You'd want instead to
increase it. At least to full frame. And as always 24x36mm does not always
cut it. The S system is brilliant in conception and we all want to know the
bottom line just how good IS this new Leica glass system. And the place to
look for such a thing, the first place would be Erwin. Who 20 years ago  was
on the LUG. You could ask him questions and everything.

[Rabs]
Mark William Rabiner

Replies: Reply from drodgers at casefarms.com (David Rodgers) ([Leica] Lightroom 3)