Subject: [Leica] Sony cleans up; takes no prisoners.
From: mark at rabinergroup.com (Mark Rabiner)
Date: Thu, 27 May 2010 22:31:17 -0400

> I think you are saying, Mark, that the way a camera handles is very
> important. I believe that, too, even if we need to sacrifice a bit in
> just how big of an enlargement will hold up. Of all the cameras
> discussed on this thread, I have experienced the FourThirds Oly E-330
> as the best compromise - small, a live-view electronic LCD finder
> plus an optical finder with the M -like quality of being on the left
> corner of the body instead of in the middle under the prism hump. The
> E-330 handles very much like an M, and the Zuiko optics in their
> pro-line are superb. After four years, I am EXTREMELY disappointed
> that Olympus has abandoned the E-330 design. I had hoped that they
> would continue its revolutionary features with better and larger
> megapixels. I am equally disappointed that Leica seems to have
> designed the M as a luxury item with a retro charm that takes
> advantage of about 10 percent of the digital camera revolution.
>
> In fact, I believe that the FourThirds instant-live-view feature of
> the E-330 is exactly what the M should have evolved to. With my 25mm
> f1.4 Leica Summilux attached to the E-330
> ( http://gallery.leica-users.org/v/Gary+Todoroff/Leica25mm/ ), I am
> experiencing an increase in photographic creativity which is as much
> or more as when I switched from an SLR to my Leica M2's many years
> ago. When I tried to show this approach to a Leica rep, showing him
> how beautifully the Olympus met the *intent* of Leica photography,
> the instant and condescending response was, "Zat is not en M!"  For
> me, I want photographs that look like they were taken with the very
> best that a Leica approach can give and could care less if the camera
> still looks like an M. Except of course, for the aforementioned small
> and quiet approach that both the M and the E-330 share.
>
> So unless I need a 20x30 enlargement, for me the FourThirds E-330 has
> taken the M concept into the 21st century. However, for what I have
> discovered in the photographic capability of the E-330, neither
> Olympus nor Leica seems to want to take cameras in that revolutionary
> direction.
>
> Gary Todoroff
> Tree LUGger

Gary I remember you being a guy who had a Hasselblad stuck out the bottom of
the airplane in stead of a Leica or a nikon.
I think when we are shooting at f16 and be there and can use the very lowest
ISO's the format size makes a bit less of a distance.
But many of us have too shoot in a range of ISO's. And there for cant do
with the smaller digital formats to be competitive.

[Rabs]
Mark William Rabiner

Replies: Reply from hopsternew at gmail.com (Geoff Hopkinson) ([Leica] Sony cleans up; takes no prisoners.)