Subject: [Leica] Sony cleans up; takes no prisoners.
From: hopsternew at gmail.com (Geoff Hopkinson)
Date: Thu, 27 May 2010 17:04:20 +1000

Can you imagine holding a Leica M at arm's length to use it? Quite apart
from possibly aging eyes in their demographic (guilty), danged if it makes
any sense to me.

It is interesting to me that Oly and Panasonic seems to be doing so well
with their mFT cameras but appear to have reached an unpredicted market,
being enthusiasts rather than people wanting to ugrade from compacts. A lot
of enthusiam for putting adapters on and using older good quality lenses
(and why not) rather than the mFT ones. Then lots of those folks right away
want a clip on EVF or optical finder which is still not comparable to a good
optical finder. Here at least for example the neat little Olympus E-P2 with
kit zoom and EVF sells for AUD 1,800 yet you can get the E620 equivalent
with kit zoom for AUD 649. Pretty clearly people really value the ability to
put those adapters on and the smaller form factor but I'm unconvinced that
the average would be compact upgrader is not baulking at the current
pricing. Panasonic are worse (here at least). Maybe they've taken some
advice from Leica because you can't find those GF-1s in stock anywhere
despite the not inconsiderable price tags. It's all Howard Cummer's fault
that my wife wants one now.

But now Sony has positioned themselves to appeal to that same set of compact
P&S upgraders that aren't buying the Oly's and Panas! The cameras look like
extremely clever engineering to me but the user interface is horrible to my
taste. If other enthusiasts agree they aren't going to be lining up to get
the NEX new thing. But Sony is worth millions so what would I know?????

Well as soon as someone uses some reality altering sorcery powered by wishes
and produces a smaller M9 that costs a third as much I suppose that everyone
will lose interest.
Of course you CAN now get an M8 for that sort of money and the crop factor
is better than all of these new designs. Takes M lenses with no adapters and
everything. There are some  thousands of them out there. ;-) ;-)

Cheers
Geoff
http://www.pbase.com/hoppyman