Subject: [Leica] Fwd: Shattered M8 sensor glass update (780 Euros) + soft focus confusion
From: hopsternew at gmail.com (Geoff Hopkinson)
Date: Wed, 26 May 2010 22:38:20 +1000

Peter make sure that you say thank you to ANDREA not ANGELA ;-)
I spoke personally a couple of times to the technician that calibrated my
lenses (which were done after my camera had been given back).   I offered to
leave the camera behind to have the lenses adjusted to it, if required. He
said that was not necessary as my camera was now measured to be identical to
their test camera. From our conversation my understanding is that they try
to adjust the camera to the centre of the acceptable tolerance range,
basically to make it the same as their benchmark camera if you like. If your
camera is then known to be adjusted as close to perfectly as possible, it
should make any lens that is also adjusted as close to nominal as possible.

I don't think it makes sense to have a lens or lenses that are only optimal
on one camera (which by definition is non-standard) but this keeps coming
up.

I can only tell you that my Summilux 50 ASPH. and my APO Summicron 75 ASPH
were perfect wide open at minimum distance on my M8 and now my M9.  You
might have seen even macro Elmar shots from me and I am very confident that
the camera and lenses are spot on.

The procedures and test equipment to calibrate the sensor positioning and
focus are extremely exacting now as a result of learning from the start of
M8 production and a lot of pixel peeping customers.

Regarding your film M's, there is no sensor adjusting obviously but the
rangefinders are the same of course. I don't know prices there, why not ask
Andrea about CLA's when you are next in touch? Of course there are a number
of capable servicing agents that do fine work with classic M bodies.  At the
very least, your M3 deserves a service if you don't know of any done to it
recently. M6's obviously can be 20 years or more old too.
I just noticed the link to the DIY rangefinder adjustment. I absolutely do
not recommend that. Perhaps that's another thread.

Cheers
Geoff
http://www.pbase.com/hoppyman