Subject: [Leica] IMG: Miyazaki weekend walk
From: passaro.vince at gmail.com (Vince Passaro)
Date: Fri, 21 May 2010 23:16:59 -0400

Actually I was taken with your comment and I realized the pictures reminded
me of another Ozu film, actually, about a young daughter who wants to marry
but feels she cannot leave her father alone (I think I'm remembering this
correctly) which is called either Late Spring or Green Tea Over Rice... Both
are Ozu titles but I'm mixing them up in my head. Anyway there is a quality
of light in that picture that these remind me of. Tokyo Story in my mind is
rather dark-ish, even in the outdoor scenes.

One of the amazements of Tokyo Story is that tatami level of filming you
mention, but from both sides of a room, with flawless editing between the
shots. I think they filmed the entire scene from one side and then again
from another but you never get the sense of an alteration or change in time
or position or anything like that. Another amazing moment comes when the old
couple is out walking -- wandering really since they know they are not
wanted at any of their children's homes -- and they sit for a while on a
stone to rest, and then get up to go, and in the midst of their rising Ozu
jumps from a medium to a long shot -- from the same angle so clearly it's a
different take -- but the man is in exactly the same half-risen position
from the end of the medium shot to the opening of the long: there is no
evidence whatsoever that you have not just naturally leapt backward while he
continues rising. I played this over and over and over last time I watched
the film, in complete astonishment.

Anyway thanks for bringing up Ozu who is one of my favorite filmmakers, and
clearly well known to you as well. The way he frames every shot can instruct
us as photographers in harmonious and yet still energized composition.

Vince