Subject: [Leica] IMG: Garden portrait
From: mark at rabinergroup.com (Mark Rabiner)
Date: Thu, 13 May 2010 04:50:24 -0400

> Thanks for looking Mark (and thanks also to anyone else I've missed).
> Maybe worthwhile clarifying a couple of points:
>
> The LUG galleries (thanks again Brian for this resource!) allow you to
> adjust your available image sizes and I normally have just one after you
> click the thumbnail.
> This shot is a crop from the full file and is at 100% so every pixel is
> there in what you see.
>
> Noise/grain: The M9 is probably a stop or so better than the M8 there and
> there are big advances in later Lightroom versions for capture sharpening
> and noise reduction. Those are inter-related and underexposure is very bad
> ju-ju. Basically you can preserve all of the finer detail while reducing
> noise in areas of more continuous tone (like the OoF areas).  Maybe I can
> post some thoughts on the LUG Pearls Wiki.
>
> Good tripod and careful technique. So 1/30th not a problem here. These were
> just casual shots without any elaborate setup. Flash is another skill set
> and circumstance of course.
>
> Cheers
> Geoff
> http://www.pbase.com/hoppyman
>

> On 13 May 2010 10:16, Mark Rabiner <mark at rabinergroup.com> wrote:
>
>>> Today I received a macro adapter for my Macro Elmar 90 and tried it out
>> on
>>> my M9 (ISO 800 100% crop).
>>> No Valanga Irregularis were harmed in the making of this portrait
>>>
>>> http://gallery.leica-users.org/v/hoppyman/2/ghcu.jpg.html
>>>
>>> Cheers
>>> Geoff
>>> http://www.pbase.com/hoppyman
>>>

>> That beats the **&^% out of the 5D shot I just saw 10 minutes ago out of
>> the
>> lug gallery Sure wish when I clicked on it it got bigger at all let alone
>> like it did.
>> Its an internet convention.
>> see
>> Click
>> Make bigger
>> I start to drool on the bell when I click but then no dog bone.
>> It looks like an electron microscope shot.
>>
>> And proves the wise adage that if you want macro a rangefinder camera is
>> the
>> wrong tool for the job use an SLR.
>>
>> Which proves what I always say.
>> The rule is usually wrong. Its always what you don't think.
>>
>> As its so totally grainless I wonder if you don't have the color anti
>> noise
>> setting cranked up just a bit high hurting sharpness as here we are at iso
>> 800 and it looks like 100. But too small to really tell.
>>
>> This much sharpness macro at 1/30th of a second is pretty mystical.
>>
>> People into shooting like this often find its very much about using a
>> flash
>> so you can BOTH stop down and have a blazingly high shutter speed. As both
>> is very much more so needed in the macro realm than in the normal realm.
>> You just use a dedicated cord. No one dreams you've used a flash. And its
>> convention. You get when people are used to seeing.
>> But you pretty much did it without one here.
>>
>> [Rabslov]
>> Mark William Rabiner

Ah tripod. That's usually the big secret weapon.
But the macro world always has something to make things more interesting.
And its the motion in the wind we don't really notice which can be the
culprit which makes macro shooting for the die hard involve flash even when
they use a tripod. This is people who live and die by it. Nature people.
Close up people.  I could get like that.
I'm surprised you didn't get the adaptor thing when you got the lens though.
I started out doing macro shots with a twin lens Rolleiflex. t made things
just a little interesting. Parallax is not the end of the world. There are
ways to deal with it. A slight shift here. A crank of the tripod head up
there. Little adaptor thingies.
A heck of a shot.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Grasshopper
Wiki says you have to make sure what you're looking at is really an
grasshopper. Measure the antennae and so on.
" In many places around the world, grasshoppers are eaten as a good source
of protein. In Mexico for example, chapulines are used as a snack or
filling. They are served on skewers in Chinese food markets, like the
Donghuamen Night Market"
A Locust is a grasshopper but I'd think not all grasshoppers are locusts.
Crickets are kind of like grasshoppers it says. Almost.

[Rabs]
Mark William Rabiner