Subject: [Leica] Medical Advice
From: kcarney1 at cox.net (Ken Carney)
Date: Wed, 28 Apr 2010 19:38:07 -0500

On 4/28/2010 5:00 PM, Tina Manley wrote:
> I know there are lots of medical people on the LUG and I need some advice.
>   I was in a wreck Monday - smashed from the rear into a dump truck in
> front
> - so two big jolts.  The car is several feet shorter.  At the time, I
> didn't
> think I was hurt at all.  Tom had whip lash.  Both of us had our seat belts
> on.  Today I can barely move.  All of my joints hurt so bad!  Nothing is
> bruised.  The only connection I can imagine to the wreck is a very sore
> shoulder from the seatbelt.  It's my artificial knees that hurt the most.
> can't put any weight on them, so I can't get up and down.  Is there
> something like residual soreness from an adrenaline rush?  I went back to
> Rock Hill and soaked in a jacuzzi for about an hour, but then I couldn't
> get
> out!  I was there by myself and it took me longer to get out than I spent
> soaking.
>
> I hope this will be gone tomorrow!!
>
> Thanks in advance,
>
> Tina

Tina,

Somehow I missed getting my MD along the way, but I have had friends
injured in car accidents.  My aunt was hit from behind, thought she was
fine, and spent two months in a hospital bed because of delayed
neck/back injuries.  My wife was hit from behind, thought she just had a
concussion and that was it. Three months later she was having carpal
tunnel surgery because of an injury to her hand.  My son-in-law was hurt
when his BMW was totaled on the interstate by a big rig.  He was in the
median and when he came to, thought he was OK except for being sore all
over.  Two nights later I got a call from my daughter saying that the
insurance adjuster from the trucking company was there with some forms.
When she told the guy that would have to wait, his reply was, "ooh,
daddy's a lawyer".  (I am a member of the Bar but don't practice).  So,
you can't go wrong by getting treatment and diagnosis and avoiding any
contact with the insurer.  Most of the time you have to sue them to get
their attention anyway.

Best of luck that this won't turn out to be a problem for either of you,
but that sounded like some wreck.

Regards,

Ken Carney