Subject: [Leica] New Summilux-M 35/1.4 ASPH. #11663
From: hopsternew at gmail.com (Geoff Hopkinson)
Date: Sun, 25 Apr 2010 01:00:48 +1000

Dante, by efficient I meant smaller volume than the plastic designs for
similar function.  The example I currently own is on the Elmar 24.
Personally, I always have my lens hoods attached both for their original
function and for the mechanical protection. No negatives at all there for
me.I just don't see any reasons to NOT leave them on unless I am using a
polariser of course. Personal opinion and preference certainly. I'd be very
uncomfortable using that 16-18-21 without a hood for sure. I only tried one
once. The front element is very exposed and you can't even stand it on its
nose. I don't think that hood was their finest hour. I think that the
Summarits have a screw on thread protector but then they don't come standard
with a hood. I don't know about others (my Elmar 24 does not).

On two occasions the front elements of my lenses have been saved from impact
damage by the hoods presence. I'm currently in the process of waiting for a
replacement for the plastic hood on my Summicron 28 ASPH. and you know how
expensive these things are. It was accidentally broken by another shooter
(not operating the squeeze tabs when removing it) which broke the locking
parts and cracked the whole thing through. I much prefer the single piece
thread on metal designs. YTMV Your threadage may vary.
That Jupiter 3 hood looks like a venturi from a Sputnik booster rocket!

Boyz with da hoodz
Geoff
http://www.pbase.com/hoppyman

Message from red735i at earthlink.net (Frank Filippone) ([Leica] New Summilux-M 35/1.4 ASPH. #11663)