Subject: [Leica] New Summilux-M 35/1.4 ASPH. #11663
From: hopsternew at gmail.com (Geoff Hopkinson)
Date: Thu, 22 Apr 2010 22:17:08 +1000

Frank the new external thread metal lens hoods have been used on the new 18,
the new 21 and both the new 24's. The designs are more compact/efficient and
they are all metal instead of plastic. Much more robust and you can fit
filters inside them if desired. Generic hoods that fit the filter threads
are obviously still an option (but the new ones are included with the lenses
anyway). For the cheaper Summarits you pay extra for the hoods. So every new
Leica M design has a screw on metal hood since the introduction of the
Summarits (except the Noctilux). I know that some current ZM designs have
bayonet on hoods, I don't think that is a common method for modern Leica M
lenses? None that I know about anyway.

You know that the Aspheric elements don't 'float' and they are  not related
to 'back focus' right? The floating elements do improve close in performance
and I think minimise focus shift as you stop down, I 'd stand correction on
that last.
The superb Summilux 50 ASPH. and APO Summicrom 75 ASPH. that I have both use
this and I think were the earlier implementation of this technology. Peter
Karbe and his team shoud be venerated as optical Dieties!

Cheers
Geoff
http://www.pbase.com/hoppyman