Subject: [Leica] Zeiss cinema lenses for Nikon, Canon
From: tgray at 125px.com (Tim Gray)
Date: Sat, 17 Apr 2010 19:04:33 -0400

On Apr 17, 2010 at 02:58 PM -0400, Mark Rabiner wrote:
> The point of the lenses line is to not offer Leica users a lower piece
> point
> or to pawn of cheaply made clunky glass as Zeiss to Canon Nikon users.
> The point of the lens is they are made by Zeiss.
> And of course they are mainly directed at video and movie people but it
> appears also at stills people. That's me.

It seems to me the point is to offer these lenses with cine-style
ergonomics.  Which is one of the last things I'd want if I was shooting
stills.

A 4.5 inch front diameter does not sound appealing to me on a SLR.  It
sounds perfectly reasonably if I was shooting with a rig for motion, whether
that was an SLR or a traditional camera.  When you are hanging matte boxes,
follow focus systems, and other accessories, it makes sense to have a
housing that is a standardized size across the line, and absolute size makes
less of a difference.

Which is why I made my previous statement.  If you wanted to shoot stills
with this (which is the only reason you'd adapt it to R, as you asked), why
not buy one of the ZF/ZE/ZK lenses?

Replies: Reply from mark at rabinergroup.com (Mark Rabiner) ([Leica] Zeiss cinema lenses for Nikon, Canon)
Message from mark at rabinergroup.com (Mark Rabiner) ([Leica] Zeiss cinema lenses for Nikon, Canon)