Subject: [Leica] Zeiss cinema lenses for Nikon, Canon
From: mark at rabinergroup.com (Mark Rabiner)
Date: Sat, 17 Apr 2010 14:58:19 -0400

> On Apr 17, 2010 at 04:44 AM -0400, Mark Rabiner wrote:
>> Giving Leica C a run for their money. These are full frame and gorgeous.
>> $21,000,000 for the set.
>> And only 3 grand each USD.
>
> As far as I know, these primes are essentially the ZF/ZE/ZK primes rebuilt
> in different housings.  I'm sure there is additional quality control to
> insure optimal assembly as well.
>
> I'm sure you could adapt it to R, but why not just buy a ZF for a fraction
> of the price if you don't need the cine style housing?
>
> 2nd question on this page:
> <http://www.zeiss.de/c125756900453232/Contents-Frame/b984d96f381f07fbc12575820
> 044c5d7>

Becaue these represent a true Zeiss option. The ZF lenses are a cheap option
with a Zeiss logo but awful ergonomics, look and feel. They appear to be
Tamrons. I don't need of course a cine housing but it might be interesting
to work with. Its too new to tell.
The point of the lenses line is to not offer Leica users a lower piece point
or to pawn of cheaply made clunky glass as Zeiss to Canon Nikon users.
The point of the lens is they are made by Zeiss.
And of course they are mainly directed at video and movie people but it
appears also at stills people. That's me.
And as video is incorporated into more and more still cameras the line
between a stills job and video job will get blurred. They'll want you to
bring back some video footages as well.

[Rabs]
Mark William Rabiner

Replies: Reply from tgray at 125px.com (Tim Gray) ([Leica] Zeiss cinema lenses for Nikon, Canon)