Subject: [Leica] Eclipse (full, not partial)
From: piers at hemy.org (Piers Hemy)
Date: Sat, 17 Apr 2010 20:50:37 +0100

Thanks for your appreciative compliments, Larry. In some ways the images do
not do justice to the experience, but there are fatures visible in the
photos that are very hard to appreciate at the time, because things happen
very quickly.

In fact the equipment is visible in one of the images, located under the
tripod which I used for the DV camera. The images of the sun were taken on
an Olympus OM-3Ti using a Tamron SP 500/8 mirror lens with a Tamron SP 2x
teleconverter. That gives a sun diameter of about 9mm on the 35mm frame,
which tallies with the cropped images posted. Mounted on a monopod (tripod
in use for DV, but the shutter speeds were not anywhere near slow).  The
scene setting images would have been shot using an OM-4Ti with a Tamron SP
35-105/2.8 lens.

And the most important part of the equipmet - ND5.0 Baader AstroSolar filter
material to shroud all lenses!

As a correspondent on another photo mailing list put it to me at the time
referring to a total eclipse in the late 1960s "I stood there with my mouth
hanging open suddenly understanding the awe with which the ancients must
have viewed this apparition. If I were to do it again I wouldn't even take a
camera except maybe to shoot the crowd."

He was right.

Piers