Subject: [Leica] OT Chateau d'y Quem and wine tasting.
From: mark at whitedogs.co.uk (Mark Pope)
Date: Mon, 05 Apr 2010 09:36:28 +0100

I have only tasted Chateau d'y quem on one occasion, which was my
fortieth birthday.  That was a long time ago, as my fiftieth is
approaching fast...A week today in fact...

We had friends around for lunch yesterday and had 1996 Coteaux de Layon
Saint-Aubin with the tarte-aux pommes that I made for dessert.  This is
a dessert wine from the Loire Valley and I think I prefer these wines to
the Bordeaux offerings.  The d'y Quem was very good, but I guess it's
like hifi, Leicas and other things, where the law of diminishing returns
  comes into play.

We were in France for my fortieth and our friend (who had six bottles of
D'y Quem) took us out to a number of Chateaux on the Loire for some
tastings.  My favourite was one called Chateau de Chamboureau, where we
bought some 1997 Savennieres, some of which I still have.  It should
keep for a few years yet.

The chateau was delightfully low-tech, and the wines were to die for.
We also went to another much larger chateau - Chateau le Fesles (I
think), where the wines were good, but it was a much slicker, high-tech
operation, which held less appeal for me.

Happy memories!

For my fiftieth, we're going to stay on a vineyard in Gloucestershire
called the Three Choirs.  English wines are sniffed at by many, but they
produce some very pleasant 'quaffing' wine at the Three Choirs.

Mark Pope,
Swindon, Wilts
UK

Homepage               http://www.monomagic.co.uk