Subject: [Leica] Auto vibration reduction
From: passaro.vince at gmail.com (Vince Passaro)
Date: Sat, 3 Apr 2010 00:26:50 -0400

Rabs you confuse me because often you say "Face facts Leica lenses are
better than everyone else's, quite noticeably so when you're printing in
large format, etc. Get inside that darkroom and print at 21 by 24 and you'll
see that Leica glass makes Nikon look like yesterday's snot on a ripped
tissue grrrrrrr." (That's really what you say.)

Then you got your Nikon head on and you say (or appear to be saying) "Well
the pros who are out there every day are using Nikon and Canon and these
guys know what they're doing so it's not up to the likes of us dweedleheads
with our element counts to question them they're bringing home the bacon
after hitting the pig over the head with the Nikon AF-S VR Zoom-Nikkor
70-300mm f/4.5-5.6G IF-ED."

As part of the latter contention you also said that people who argued the
merits of these newer coffee can sized lenses are "purists" meaning in this
sense Luddites who don't know the world is changing.

So my argument was: yeah, somewhat true, but do keep in mind that many of us
are not kneejerk purists we have a real aesthetic rationale or two behind
why we like Leica lenses and uphold the values (like keeping things solidly
attached unlike in VR/IS technology) that make those lenses so historically
great and unmatched in performance.

See? You're two mints in one baby.

But that's okay we all are. If I went out today to buy me a Nikon 55-200mm
for my D40x believe me I'd get the VR version. I just love Doug's argument
because this is a guy who sits there with the giant lens on the tripod or
not but as he remarks, 1/250th isn't always fast enough and the thing he's
looking at is like a mile and a half away and weighs less than two pounds.
And if he says one thing works better than another then I'm like, OK you
know what you're talking about.

For a schmuck like me if I'm going to have a $200 Nikon DX lens nothing is
going to suffer by having it with VR. And a few things might well improve.

Vince