Subject: [Leica] Auto vibration reduction
From: passaro.vince at gmail.com (Vince Passaro)
Date: Fri, 2 Apr 2010 01:07:20 -0400

Mark --

I agree with you except in two regrads:

1. Many of us came to Leica and hold its aesthetic and photographic values
dear not out of low-tech purist convictions but because of the elegance of
the thing, and especially the elegance of its traditional size, \\\\\The
first time I picked up a Nikon D90 in B & H -- a D90 is on the smaller end
of the Nikon DSLR range -- with an 77mm filter thread 85mm 1.2? 1.4? lens on
it, it felt so unpleasantly huge. I kept thinking it was something I could
use to sand my walls. Barnack invented the thing to be small and so it
should be, I often think.

2.  It's Doug who's expressing considerable skepticism about the effect on
sharpness of IS in the lens. Just as you say the techs at Nikon and Canon
know their jobs, so much does Doug (I believe) know his. You can count head
feathers at hundreds of yards in some of his pictures. So if he says it it's
probably got some merit, I think.

Some of those IS lenses are real big and real ugly, unfortunately. too. Is
what I'm saying.