Subject: [Leica] NYLUG "10 @ICP: "Photoethnography" - Karen Nakamura
From: pklein at threshinc.com (Peter Klein)
Date: Sun, 28 Mar 2010 13:30:29 -0700

Karen is a very interesting woman.  She's a Yale academic with
impressive credentials, and also a fine photographer who loves
cameras--especially classic 50-70s cameras--both as tools for her
ethnographic work, and for their own sake. She's not afraid to use a
screwdriver when necessary.  She has indeed used Leicas, and was on the
LUG c. 2003-2005.  If you want to learn more about her and see some of
her work, check out her site at:
http://www.photoethnography.com/

You'll find her gallery and equipment sections quite interesting.  Much
of the site was done a few years ago, but classic camera info doesn't
change much.  Her blog is current, but most of its archives links didn't
work for me.
http://www.photoethnography.com/blog/

--Peter

 > Karen's interests are wide. My interaction with her was about the Blad's.
 > I had not realized ( I don't think) that she was a leica user. Have
fun if
 > you go. Reports would be great.
 >
 > Alastair
 >
 >>> From the NYLUG Committee:
 >> To the LUG:
 >>

 >> NYLUG '10: Colloquium in Photography

 >>          Photoethnography, Visual Anthropology, and the Leica
 >>
 >>         The invention of the first Leica camera in 1913 ushered in new
 >>  possibilities for naturalistic photography. Heavy tripod-mounted
 >>  wooden cameras could be replaced by Oskar Barnack?s pocketable little
 >>  brass wonder.  Dozens of bulky film plates could be exchanged for a
 >>  single interchangeable film cartridge.  New vistas for street and
 >>  field photography were opened up. Anthropologists were early adopters
 >>  of this technology to bring back images from across the world. It is
 >>  remarkable that almost a hundred years later we are still using the
 >>  same film in much the same film cartridge that Oskar Barnack
 >>  originally developed.
 >>         Karen Nakamura is a cultural and visual anthropologist of Japan.
 >>  An assistant professor of anthropology at Yale University, she has
 >>  written an award-winning ethnography titled Deaf in Japan. She is
 >>  known as the creator of the website Photoethnography.com and has also
 >>  filmed and edited two ethnographic films.
 >>         In this presentation, Karen will be talking about how the
history
 >> of
 >>  visual anthropology, how she uses her Leica cameras in her fieldwork,
 >>  and share some of the photographs that she has taken in Japan,
 >>  Malaysia, China, and the United States.

 >> Place:
 >> School of the International Center of Photography
 >> 1114 Avenue of the Americas (6th Avenue and 43rd Street)
 >> New York City
 >>
 >> Date and Time:
 >> Saturday, May 22 at 5:30PM
 >>
 >> Registration Fee (Must be received by us no later than Monday, May10):
 >> $30
 >>

 >> Payment:
 >>  -- Make Check out to --
 >> RUBIN MACKAY NYLUG CFA
 >>
 >> -- SEND CHECK to --
 >> RUBIN MACKAY INTERNATIONAL LAW PC
 >> 303 FIFTH AVENUE, SUITE 1109
 >> NEW YORK, NY 10016
 >>
 >> OR
 >>
 >> -- Paypal --
 >> Please email Chris Saganich.
 >> chs2018 at med.cornell.edu
 >>
 >> Please email me if you wish to attend.
 >>

 >> Cheers,
 >> John

I'd bet she uses a doze different brands and kinds of cameras. And well too.

[Rabs]
Mark William Rabiner

Replies: Reply from mark at rabinergroup.com (Mark Rabiner) ([Leica] NYLUG "10 @ICP: "Photoethnography" - Karen Nakamura)
Reply from richard at imagecraft.com (Richard Man) ([Leica] NYLUG "10 @ICP: "Photoethnography" - Karen Nakamura)