Subject: [Leica] IMG: Bach Brandenburg Concerto #5
From: pklein at threshinc.com (Peter Klein)
Date: Sun, 28 Mar 2010 14:44:47 -0700

Thanks, Frank.  Yeah, I think some people in L.A. would copyright each
of their toilet activities as unique works of art (and somebody probably
has).  :-)

I've been doing this for over 30 years, mostly at performances where my
friends play. Only once have I been yelled at about it, and that was by
someone who assumed I was using flash, which I wasn't and would never do.

At one time the symphony asserted that their hall's architecture was so
unique that any photograph taken anywhere in the building was a
violation of copyright.  They've backed off that, or at least, they
don't really enforce it any more for non-commercial pictures.  Hundreds
of people with P&S's and cell phones...

Photos during the performance are strictly "verboten" at the symphony,
opera, and main chamber music festival, so I don't. But that leaves many
other things.  I mostly shoot bowing and tune-up, where a discrete
shutter click doesn't matter.  During the actual music, I will try a
shot or two during a loud passages or on a strong beat, and these are
often the best.  It probably helps that I played for many years myself,
know music pretty well, and wouldn't want to do anything that would
distract the performers or audience.  I also photograph concerts only
sporadically, because thinking about photography means I'm not thinking
as much about the music.

--Peter