Subject: [Leica] IMG: Dog portrait, with the succulent middle of a 50mm Summilux.
From: photo at frozenlight.eu (Nathan Wajsman)
Date: Sat, 27 Mar 2010 18:44:22 +0100

I fully agree with Frank. I use the maximum aperture of all my lenses a lot,
and I rarely go beyond f4.

But of course, I am shooting with those inferior cropped format M8 and GF-1
cameras. However, when I was shooting film with my M6 and M7 I behaved in
pretty much the same way.

Nathan

Nathan Wajsman
Alicante, Spain
http://www.frozenlight.eu
http://www.greatpix.eu
http://www.nathanfoto.com

Blog: http://www.fotocycle.dk/blog

On Mar 27, 2010, at 11:26 AM, Frank Dernie wrote:

> Sorry Mark,
> I am not trying to question your, or others expertise, nor to question the
> fact that most photographs are taken stopped down.
> Probably everybody here knows that, including me, a poor amateur of 40
> years.
> The point I was making was that, if one -almost never- shoots wide open, a
> Leica lens is an unnecessary and expensive luxury for which one is getting
> only rare benefit.
> That was all.
> cheers,
> Frank
>
> On 27 Mar, 2010, at 09:47, Mark Rabiner wrote:
>
>>> If you are shooting at f5.6 Leica lenses are a bit of a waste of money.
>>> My
>>> Leica 50mm f1.4 is noticeable better that my Nikon 50mm f1.4 -at- f1.4,
>>> but at
>>> f5.6 i see very little difference. The price differential is almost 10:1.
>>> That is my experience in general, sure all lenses get better stopped
>>> down,
>>> very particularly the cheap ones. What makes Leica worth the money (if
>>> you
>>> have it) is it loses so little quality as you open up, compared to
>>> others.
>>> IME.