Subject: [Leica] Tape back up for photographers
From: dennis at hale-pohaku.com (Dennis)
Date: Thu, 25 Mar 2010 00:06:27 -1000
References: <738445.1885.qm@web111708.mail.gq1.yahoo.com> <20100317201614.GB417@selenium.125px.com> <20100318144905.GC22732@mars-attacks.org> <25D10E3B-53AC-4092-9406-F91C2C2C8D8D@aotera.org> <20100318192008.GD417@selenium.125px.com> <60940A68-4EE4-45DD-89FC-996496721208@aotera.org> <4BA809CA.90304@csdco.com><0CBC8CD2-DBFE-458A-B340-15A4AE06FEB3@aotera.org> <4BA82A63.3050701@csdco.com><4BA8867D.5030304@hale-pohaku.com> <4BA95AD2.2090602@csdco.com><4BA9FF66.5090602@hale-pohaku.com> <4BAA433F.5050201@csdco.com> <C9237B13-EEB3-432E-9662-9716E5108973@aotera.org>

Hi Spencer,

I think we may want to put this over to the Imagestore list, but.

At some point, say over 10TB, and growing, I think you are reaching a
point of diminishing returns using disc drives for backup and/or
archiving. Managing a lot of disc drives manually becomes a tedious and
error prone task. This is where automation can be your friend. John's
tape library is more than I would expect a photographer to need but I
would want a library that accepts at least two drives in order to
migrate data to the next generation media. Typically these libraries are
attached to servers. I am not sure but expect that you can run them on a
unix or windows system, not sure about Mac.

It's likely that you will need a server to keep up with the performance
of the drive. LTO 4 can write data at speed of up to 120 MB/s.I  don't
think windows desktop can serve up that data rate. The drive can stream
at lower data rates but obviously the backup will take longer.

The LTO format is very reliable. They are not designed to be consumer
products, the typical customer is going to be a large corporation that
expects and gets a reliable product. The media life that John quoted
sounds like the spec to me. Once you write data to the tape you should
never have to check it. If you want I can discuss the read after write
that occurs in real time when data is written, the error correction that
is part of the LTO specification, and, importantly the servo tracking
that is important to ensuring data written can be read back on another
drive. Keep in mind that the major drive manufactures are HP, IBM, and
Quantum (Quantum acquired its seat as one of the technology providers of
the LTO Consortium when Quantum bought Certance, a spin off from Seagate)

Backup software is going to be selected from the library vendors list of
qualified vendors.

Goodnight,
Dennis

Replies: Reply from leowesson at gmail.com (Leo Wesson) ([Leica] Tape back up for photographers)