Subject: [Leica] Question 2 this evening: historical prices
From: passaro.vince at gmail.com (Vince Passaro)
Date: Mon, 22 Mar 2010 01:09:04 -0400

So car prices kept pace with inflation. My mother bought a Ford in 69, as I
said, for $2400 or so, with 200 off for trade in.... would have been about
1800 in 1955. From then til now a car has cost about half or a bit more of
the median annual household salary.

(And what you would pay today for an M7 and 50 Summicron at B&H is $6000,
expressed in 1955 dollars that's about $740.  So the prices are not so
outlandish relative to what they've been historically -- this hearkens back
to our heated thread that followed poor Tina innocently inquiring about the
Zeiss 35mm lens.....)

(To walk out of B&H with an M9 (if they had 'em which I think they don't
yet) and 50 Summicron would cost $9000 which in 1955 is about $1100 which
would have been a quarter of a single man's annual salary and still would be
now...)

I'm pursuing this information as part of a general ongoing study into why it
seems to me (perhaps completely incorrectly) that it was possible at one
time to live cheaply and well and even buy a Leica and add a lens once a
year or two, while it seems not to be, at all, now.  In 1955 you could rent
a very good apartment in New York for $100 a month or less. Median income
for a male unmarried, or a married couple, or family, nationally (would have
been higher in a city like NY) ranged from $4,000 to $4,500.  With any
effort at all you could make $400 a month and rent and food and utilities
would cost less than half that and the GI Bill would send you to college at
night, for free. It was a recipe for a burgeoning middle class, for massive
social mobility, for a breakdown of the class system, for fair distribution
of wealth, and, most interestingly, for an explosion of interesting and
revolutionary things happening in music, art, literature, photography, etc.
That's why I was asking about these prices: to add to my database.

And for those who are curious (if you're not stop reading here) the most
scandalous change has not been with Leicas and other so called "luxury"
goods -- it has been in the making into a luxury good something like an
education or a decent place to live. What a nice house cost in 1955, would
be less than $100,000 today; what a year in an Ivy League school cost
(sorry, those are the only prices I know; except that City College was free,
and now it's $4800 or so -- I have two sons there) in 1955 would be less
than $10,000 today. What it cost in 1978 would be less than $15000 today;
but what it cost by 1986 when I went back to grad school would put it over
$25,000 today. A bargain compared to $50K but still, we can see where The
Problem Began.

Hint: picture a farmer in a John Deere cap walking up to a fence  on a soft
blue day. Announcer: *It's a New Morning in America*.  (What they forgot to
tell you: he's a sheep farmer and you are about to get fleeced...)

Thanks for all the good info Jim et al.

On Sun, Mar 21, 2010 at 10:56 PM, Jim Nichols <jhnichols at
lighttube.net>wrote:

> Vince,
>
> I pulled the car price from memory, and I find it is low.  The average car
> price in 1955 was $1900.  So, in reality, the M 3 cost about one-fourth of
> the price of a car.  Sorry for the faulty memory.
>

> Jim Nichols
> Tullahoma, TN USA
> ----- Original Message ----- From: "Vince Passaro" <
> passaro.vince at gmail.com>

>>> 10,155    IMARO    Leica M 3 with 50mm Elmar f/3.5 lens 348.00
>>> 10,161    ISUMO    Leica M 3 with 50mm Summicron f/2 lens
>>> 447.00