Subject: [Leica] Apollo portrait / racing quadriga
From: john.nebel at csdco.com (John Nebel)
Date: Sat, 20 Mar 2010 15:51:17 -0600

Tarek,

Wasn't it Gallatin who speculated that the Euainatos delta decadrachm dies
may
not have been engraved by him as his eyesight couldn't have been acute
enough at
that point in his life?  Of course Gallatin's speculation depends on his die
study and its proposed chronology.

To consider another photo, the reverse of this 1/6 stater is likely inspired
by
Kimon and is quite amazing - the siren on Athena's helmet is about 1mm
across.
That makes the siren's eyeball something like 1/10 mm.

http://www.ancientmoney.org/east/lycia.html

John