Subject: [Leica] difference between documentarian and documented
From: jsmith342 at gmail.com (Jeffery Smith)
Date: Fri, 19 Mar 2010 16:42:59 -0500

George, you LOOK like a photographer, not of the newspaper type or of the
paparazzi type, but like someone who takes photos for a living. I think that
defuses the situation a bit. If you looked like Mickey Rourke, your presence
might be more cause for concern.

When looking a Winogrand's work from decades ago, I felt that he was
shooting on the street at a time when very few people were carrying guns
(legally or illegally), terrorism was not in the dictionary, lawsuits were
not such common fare, and taking a photo of someone carrying a chimp would
would not evoke fear that the image would be sent to PETA. We really are
living in a different time now, and it constrains what we can do however
good our intentions. The Internet has had a huge influence as well. Very few
starlets have had a wardrobe malfunction that hasn't been plastered all over
the web, making many celebs camera shy. I take informal photos (face shots)
of every one of my students on day one of class so I can quickly learn their
names. Many students (really...many) say "Oh no, you aren't going to post
this on the web are you?".  I sense that people in general are more aware of
how little privacy they have compared to 20 or 30 years ago. HCB and Robert
Capa were shooting in the street and one would never dream that a picture of
the man on the street would be seen anywhere. It would have to be in a book
or in a gallery. Only if it were newsworthy would it appear in a paper or
magazine.

Scroll forward to today and literally everyone has a camera. Most are cheap
little digitals or cell phone cameras. Instead of desensitizing the public
to having their picture taken, it may be having the opposite effect. I hate
the idea of walking up to someone to ask permission before taking their
picture. Any spontaneity and realism is immediately lost. So many of us
shoot first and ask questions later. And not everyone who just got their
picture taken is happy at all with that revelation.

Jeffery