Subject: [Leica] difference between documentarian and documented
From: imagist3 at mac.com (George Lottermoser)
Date: Fri, 19 Mar 2010 16:24:16 -0500

When I do documentary work,
whether on the street or in other venues,
I'm always aware of the disconnect
between me as a photographer
and the subject.

As a photographer I'm looking for
certain iconic events, light, moments, compositions;
which ring true to my subjective view of life;
as well as photographic intentions;
with not very much concern for
how the subject may wish to be "seen"
or their subjective view of life in general.
(And the subject rarely has any concept of,
nor desire to understand, my "photographic intentions")

The subject, of course, would like
his or her image of themselves maintained;
or even enhanced beyond their own self-image.

How often have you heard,
"that doesn't look like me."
or
"do I really look like that?"

So often these issues of whether or not
someone feels okay when a camera lens comes their way
has to do with control;
not only of how the photograph may be used;
but also control over their own image of themselves.
Very few people feel comfortable and confident about their "reality."

Regards,
George Lottermoser
george at imagist.com
http://www.imagist.com