Subject: [Leica] Introduction and Leica Lens Service Question
From: passaro.vince at gmail.com (Vince Passaro)
Date: Wed, 17 Mar 2010 19:01:27 -0400

Lluis: That pigeons photo is amazing. It captures perfectly not only what we
know we've seen of the movement of the birds but even more so the posture of
the boy.  Now, having had three earlier children that age and one now almost
upon it, I'm betting the kid got frightened about a second after that.
Unless he was already used to pigeons in that number and had chased them
before. I remember at least two of mine howling when a bunch of pigeons
fluttered all around them, though of course they'd brought it upon
themselves....

Anyway, the photo is very very reminiscent of one by Cartier Bresson, of a
man on a small bridge over a river (looks smaller in my memory than the
Seine but i could be wrong; again in my memory, it doesn't look like Paris
much). He is leaning at the wall and has caused a pigeon (or two, I think)
to flutter up and away and the wings are captured in exactly the
individuated blur (one senses almost the exact same shutter speed) you've
gotten them in and of course with similar lens/camera/film combo (I'm
assuming Pan X or Tri X). Anyway there's a bicycle next to the man which my
lazy eye first time seeing the photo had me assume was his. But a further
look reveals the man has only one leg (a long overcoat makes this not fully
obvious) and off to the right his crutch leans against the wall of the
bridge as well.

It is a magnificent picture as is yours.

If anyone knows this picture I speak of, by Cartier Bresson, I'd love to
hear more informed commentary on it. It's a favorite of mine. It's in a book
called City and Landscape.

Vince