Subject: [Leica] accidentally left the ISO setting on 6400 -- dang!
From: kcassidy at asc.upenn.edu (Kyle Cassidy)
Date: Sun, 31 Jan 2010 22:04:52 -0500

Friday I was taking some photos in a bar (what else is new) and I had the
ISO cranked to 6400 on my Leica d700 and I was so ... er ... enthusiastic?
... er "well cared for by my friends?" ... er ... overserved? that the next
morning when I got up, I totally forgot I'd taken the ISO off of 400 (which
I never do) and ended up going on about my business that day.

-- Which is how, that afternoon, I shot this photo of Comic Book Illustrator
Mike Kaluta at a crazy unheard of film speed. Only when I'd left did it
strike me as odd that my shutter speed was 1,600 second. "Aw dang!" I
thought when I realized what I'd done, "I ruined that one".

Well, maybe not! 6400 asa isn't nearly as grainy as I'd been expecting it
was. Here's a full frame 1600 pixels high:

http://www.kylecassidy.com/lj/2010/whoops.jpg

And here's a full resolution of the eye:

http://www.kylecassidy.com/lj/2010/whoops2.jpg

Imagine what the next iteration of cameras will bring us -- the ability to
choose to stop action in dark situations, not a whole new world, but a new
island maybe.

f 2.8, 70mm, 6400 asa, 1,600 sec Leica 700.

keep pushing that shutter button

kc

--
www.kylecassidy.com