Subject: [Leica] accidentally left the ISO setting on 6400 -- dang!
From: jbm at jbm.org (Jeff Moore)
Date: Mon, 1 Feb 2010 16:46:10 -0500

2010-01-31-22:04:52 Kyle Cassidy:
> -- Which is how, that afternoon, I shot this photo of Comic Book
> Illustrator Mike Kaluta at a crazy unheard of film speed. Only when I'd
> left did it strike me as odd that my shutter speed was 1,600 second. "Aw
> dang!" I thought when I realized what I'd done, "I ruined that one".
>
> Well, maybe not! 6400 asa isn't nearly as grainy as I'd been expecting it
> was. Here's a full frame 1600 pixels high:
>
> http://www.kylecassidy.com/lj/2010/whoops.jpg

Cool.  And you didn't have to worry about motion blur...  :-)

So under these circumstances 6400 from a D700 looks pretty similar to
1250 from an M9.  And Leica "1250" is usually about as actually
light-sensitive as other people's "1600", at least per some dpreview
articles I read awhile back.

So a good solid two stops' advantage from the D700.  I can believe
that, and can happily live with it while using my M9 for the other
advantages the M9 has for me.  I find your result both impressive, and
less mystically, impossibly so than some reports had suggested.

Hell, the M8 was already better in low light than any film I used to
use.  Anything else is gravy.

Mostly: congratulations on not having had to re-shoot.

 -Jeff

Replies: Reply from hopsternew at gmail.com (Geoff Hopkinson) ([Leica] accidentally left the ISO setting on 6400 -- dang!)