Subject: [Leica] M9, lag time, perception and other things
From: henningw at archiphoto.com (Henning Wulff)
Date: Thu, 28 Jan 2010 16:04:27 -0800

Other things being equal, I'd certainly opt for shorter lag times.

Years ago the M4 shutter lag was my standard and what I got
accustomed to. SLR times varied, and were between 2 to 5 times as
long. Going back and forth between SLR's and M's caused some
problems. Then, much later, AF came along and changed things
drastically. Lag times were now up into major fractions of a second
or even more. Shooting techniques had to adapt, and AF had to be set
to not be a priority, or turned off for best response, but lag times
were still higher than pre-AF. Gradually this improved; most notably
with Canon's USM which most other manufacturers gradually adopted.

Now SLR lag times can be very short, and even with AF on are often
quite acceptable.

Then came the digital P&S cameras, which initially had lag times in
the order of 2 to 3 seconds, so that you took a lot of pictures of
your shoes. Lag times there are still awful, especially if you shoot
with red-eye reduction and AF on.

Leica M8 and M9 times, being of a long but more or less fixed time
due to an underpowered processor, are at least predictable and I can
work with that, and after some use find them not to be a real
problem. All AF cameras, especially those where it's not easy to go
to manual focus are still a problem.

A D3 is only fast if you switch off AF. If you use AF, and especially
if you switch between AF and non-AF will probably cause you to miss
more pictures due to lag issues than an M8 or 9.