Subject: [Leica] OT: Yawn
From: henningw at archiphoto.com (Henning Wulff)
Date: Thu, 28 Jan 2010 07:58:31 -0800
References: <AC32BFE9-42A5-4589-A176-C5210D049D12@frozenlight.eu> <005901ca9f8e$89c79010$80f510ac@chris0436b6050> <3cad89991001272007l5d3b602s62d383148a74cc54@mail.gmail.com> <C4ED9FC6-56F8-4003-9C54-E8C0055DB0C8@embarqmail.com> <3cad89991001272050w302dc1a7g37fa3733a3fc78ca@mail.gmail.com> <94EBADB9-5DA7-437A-9B91-B0A73A092DC9@aotera.org> <p0623090ec786e7c3c4e8@[192.168.1.5]> <938A8464-1205-4911-B18D-3F2631BCCE7F@aotera.org>

At 9:15 AM -0500 1/28/10, Spencer Cheng wrote:
>Hi Henning,
>
>On Jan 28, 2010, at 2:16, Henning Wulff wrote:
>
>>  I've been a Mac user since spring of 1984 (yes, one of the Mac
>>128's with all the signatures inside) but I too will pass on this.
>>

>You are probably not in the target demographics. Neither am I, I
>suspect. Apple is after a specific market niche/life style. Probably
>someone like my wife who would like to have an Internet appliance
>for casual use that doesn't weigh 5.5 pounds *and* look nice.
>
>>  I was hoping for netbook functionality with a Mac OS. This has
>>neither. In Canada wireless data plans are ridiculous, so an
>>enhanced iphone holds no appeal. The Macbook Air has/had too little
>>connectivity to appeal to me, and this is worse.
>>

>Clarify please. I am curious. This iPad has Wifi (802.11n) and,
>optionally 3G data. How can it be worse than MacBook Air which only
>has Wifi. Other than an acoustic modem (obsolete) and an Ethernet
>jack (obsolete for a highly mobile device), what other connectivity
>options are there for portable computers?
>
>3G data is relatively expensive in Canada but ridiculous is not
>quite how I would describe it. The most I use in a month is about
>1.2GB which is well under the 6GB I pay $30/month for. Unless one
>watches YouTube all the time on their iPhone, it's actually not that
>easy to use a few GB per month.

I would like a couple of USB ports, but my preference would be a
couple of USB plus a firewire port. Ethernet would be really nice
too, since I use gigabit ethernet at a couple of places. A built in
SD card slot would be nice too.

My data throughput has been rather higher, and my basic phone needs
modest, so I have a very simple phone that does nothing else. All in
all, the rates in Canada for phone and data are very high compared
with almost anywhere in the world. You can tell in part by the
relatively low and careful useage of phones with extended features
compared with other countries.

An iphone might be nice, but I haven't been able to convince myself
yet that I'd make sufficient use of it.

>>  I have had an Asus netbook for a year and a half with their
>>flavour of Linux, but I would really like something that can handle
>>Lightroom, so I might set up Windows on the netbook; I've been
>>holding off pending what Apple brought out. My favourite laptop to
>>date was the 12" Powerbook, but that's getting too old now but it
>>still suits me better than the ipad.
>>

>I've looked at netbooks but most of them have really crappy screens
>(borrowed from DVD players), cramped keyboards and by the time I
>load them up, either the cost goes way up or the battery life
>declines. The original Asus netbook's screen was way too small to
>surf the web with. One had to do a lot of horizontal scrolling to
>fit most web pages on there. Not desirable.
>
>Linux is great but Linux GUI sucks.
>
>I have a friend who does a lot of photography. His comment about the
>Windows versus Mac versus Linux war was "My operating system is
>Photoshop". :)
>
>Regards,
>Spencer

I was really looking for a nice small netbook from Apple, and this
obviously isn't it. Maybe I'll get my head around its useability in a
while, but most of what is offered is not something I've felt a lack
of.
--

    *            Henning J. Wulff
   /|\      Wulff Photography & Design