Subject: [Leica] New 35mm cropped
From: mark at rabinergroup.com (Mark Rabiner)
Date: Wed, 13 Jan 2010 04:21:24 -0500

> Hi Mark,
> I think you are -really- missing out not using a M8. Unless you are going
> print huge prints the M9 really only has the benefit of not needing IR
> filters.
> If you really think you are better off with a Nikon D40 then your need for
> low
> weight considerably exceeds your need for image quality.
> Obviously the photographer is more important than the tool, HCB used good
> quality cameras but his results impressed artistically not technically IMO.
> The M8 is a great camera, one I use -much- more often than my FF DSLR.
> You seem to have a serious psychological objection to the M8.
> Frank, who thinks the best film Leica was the M5...

I'm predicting that a year the M8 will not be a particularly well thought of
camera. If I'm wrong I'm wrong and we'll see who long Leica continues to
make it. And if my opinions are at all aberrant. Do a search engine for M8
and see how off they are.
The people on the LUG who have moved from M8 to M9 can speak of what they
think of their work now compared to then. And how many ever want to go back
at all.
I think the present for Leica is the M9 and the past is the M8. The M8 was a
first out for Leica and a few things could have gone there way in their
innovations but didn't.  Bad luck. But I applaud them for gong for it. In
the M9 it did work out.

Mark William Rabiner

Replies: Reply from Frank.Dernie at btinternet.com (Frank Dernie) ([Leica] New 35mm cropped)