Subject: [Leica] Technology, Ted and Tina
From: steve.barbour at gmail.com (Steve Barbour)
Date: Fri, 6 Nov 2009 13:53:34 -0800
References: <C71819F8.57F60%mark@rabinergroup.com> <A3306028-C1B0-4FD4-BF37-5901D1A320CF@gmail.com> <F7A89B679AEC4D529BE53CE61E4AFF96@jimnichols> <4E3764774E0740E2BDAA37ED4411C3CF@syneticfeba505> <200911052110.BZV56030@rg4.comporium.net> <526EA549-7116-42A7-A6F3-527379A4C1EF@ameritech.net> <200911061442.CAF70170@rg5.comporium.net> <7ac27f4f0911061220lc5d82e6j25604ddfc561763f@mail.gmail.com> <82CEB54294614B45B444EBA162E7851B@syneticfeba505>

On Nov 6, 2009, at 1:32 PM, <tedgrant at shaw.ca> <tedgrant at shaw.ca>
wrote:

> [...]
>>> still work
>> in the darkroom these days, but I don't think any photo made in the
>> darkroom
>> is automatically "better" than any photo printed on an inkjet
>> printer.<<<<<<<,,
>
> No argument. Include me, same comment! :-)
>
> If you consider I've been doing "darkroom printing since June 1949",
> yep that long!! And also making 16X20 competition prints, double
> weight paper of the day choice, not far behind that date for
> exhibitions and competitions. And yes I won a couple of neat little
> awards for "print quality." Oh by the way it wasn't for image
> content... but print quality!  :-) Different things for different
> folks...:-)  Personally? I thought they were idiots! Yep nice
> prints, but I took the photograph because of the impact of the
> moment! Not how good the print was! Jeesh techie people that far
> back! :-) :-)  So I figure that many years of experience should
> count for something. :-)
>
> There are 16X20 fine art produced prints in the National Archives of
> Canada Gallery from exhibitions of my photography hung there, long
> before I sent them my 280,000 images for their final resting place
> in the deep frozen vaults of archival never neverland. :-)
>
> Yes there is something about those long ago wet tray printed 16X20's
> that has a look!  You never forget that look!  Don't forget good old
> Ansel wasn't the only one in the world who could make excellent
> prints, even if I had to use 10 sheets or more before I got the
> magical look to the dried print! :-) Remember wet tray... "It was
> what the print looked like after it "dried!" Not when it changed
> it's look in the fix/hypo tray!
>
> But we have moved into a new time warp photography position and I
> must say, not my prints, even though I've made a few nice ones, I
> don't consider them any where near the beautiful prints I've seen.
> But I've seen some inkjet prints that are absolutely mind blowing
> quality. Quite frankly I don't even ask how to do? They have been so
> beautiful, rich and moving depth of shades it would be scary to ask
> "How did you do this?"
>
> I'm sure some might say... "I just punch the, "print
> button!" ;-) ;-) Then again their would be the technical person with
> an hour of setting the printer for the quality they want.
>
> I really think the constant back and forth of comparison, wet tray
> -- inkjet is becoming a waste of time! If not an interesting
> pastime! :-) And I don't doubt it will go on for the next
> millennium. :-)  But as paper types improve, inks become better, not
> to forget the massive improvement of printers compared to some of
> those mickey mouse machines of just a few years ago, will make the
> comparison really just a conversation between printers of today and
> those of tomorrow!
>
> Those who remember the wet tray scene?? We will be the people in the
> glass case of the museum holding a pair of tongs and looking quite

if you ever decide to pose for this shot, we will put it in the leica
photog gallery for sure,

:-)

Steve

Replies: Reply from richard.lists at gmail.com (Richard Man) ([Leica] Technology, Ted and Tina)